City of SLO Community Survey & Budget Priorities Meeting
Every two years, the City of San Luis Obispo establishes a list of top priorities that will make SLO a better place to live, work, and play. The City is asking the community for input on the 2019-21 budget through an online survey and community forum. It is vitally important that members of the bike community participate in this process in order to convey the need for bike lanes, multi-modal transportation options and safer streets to our City Council members and city staff.
Bike SLO County agrees with the city’s Active Transportation Committee that the following three projects should receive priority during 2019-2021:
- Anholm Bikeway Plan: Design, construct, and maintain bikeway from Lincoln to Ramona & install art and lighting to enhance the US 101 underpass.
- Railroad Safety Trail: Design and construct Pepper St to the train station & Jennifer St. bridge to Iris (connecting to French Hospital Trail).
- Broad Street Crossing Improvement: Design and construct a “HAWK” beacon (a traffic control device used to stop road traffic and allow pedestrians to cross safely) at Woodbridge Street.
There are two ways to provide input to the city:
1) Community members can participate by first completing the Community Priorities Survey at https://www.opentownhall.com/portals/189/Issue_6825. The deadline for participation is 11:59 AM on January 16, 2019. The City is placing increased emphasis on the survey this year so it is important that you complete it. Please consider mentioning the specific projects above as well as choosing the “Current Major City Goal: Multi-Modal Transportation” in the survey. Additionally, all of the projects above contribute not only to the city’s current Multi-Modal Transportation goals but also augment the city’s progress on the Climate Action Plan goals.
2) Community members should also attend the meeting on January 23rd where you’ll be able to voice your opinion with a dot poll throughout the event. In a change from previous years, dots will be distributed when forum attendees arrive and can be placed at various project stations during the event. Please consider placing dots on the specific projects mentioned above.
And ride your bicycle! Our free Bike Valet will be there to provide lots of secure bike parking.
WHAT: Community Priorities Survey at https://www.opentownhall.com/portals/189/Issue_6825. The deadline for participation is 11:59 AM on January 16, 2019!
WHAT: Budget Priorities Meeting
WHERE: SLO Vets Hall, 801 Grand Ave, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401 (map)
WHEN: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 6-9 PM