Stand up for the Bob Jones Trail
Write your Supervisors & show up!
On Tuesday, May 9th the Board of Supervisors will meet to decide whether to move the Bob Jones Trail Extension project forward, or not. At least four Supervisors need to vote in favor for the project to move ahead. While the San Luis Obispo County Parks & Rec Department has found most of the funds needed to move the Bob Jones Trail forward, it is up to the county Board of Supervisors to approve the use of the money.
If the Supervisors approve the funding, it will put SLO County in a strong position for additional funds and we could see actual construction of the Bob Jones Trail extension in the next 18 to 24 months.
Please help to move this project forward by doing the following three things:
- Email or call your Supervisor expressing your support for the additional funding needed to move the Bob Jones Trail project forward.
- Show up at 9 am for the May 9th hearing to express your support for this project. We will need a large turnout for the Board of Supervisors so that the minimum four votes are obtained. The Bob Jones Trail item is currently on the consent agenda. If it stays on the consent agenda, there will be no public commentary. This is a great opportunity for signs reading “Support the Bob Jones Trail” “I <3 the Bob Jones Trail” etc. If the item is taken off of the consent agenda for discussion, public comment is encouraged. As always, be polite and respectful.
- Forward this request to your friends and family, especially in Arroyo Grande, Nipomo and North County.
Key points to express are:
- Support the remaining BJT funding necessary to issue the RFP, allowing the project to move forward and become shovel-ready.
- SLO County will be applying for a portion of the 200+ million dollars available through ATP grants in early 2018. Having the project shovel-ready will enhance our chances of receiving $10 million in state funds for construction of the BJT extension.
- We have already lost significant grant money for this project due to delays, and are at risking of losing an additional $250,000 grant if progress is not made soon.
- Funding for this RFP will not impact the County’s progress on the Nipomo Parks projects that are in the works.
Below is the contact information for the Board of Supervisors.
District 1: John Peschong, firstname.lastname@example.org.
District 2: Bruce Gibson, email@example.com
District 3: Adam Hill, firstname.lastname@example.org
District 4: Lynn Compton, email@example.com
District 5: Debbie Arnold, firstname.lastname@example.org