Triple California Bicycling by 2020?
On Tuesday, October 27th, 2015, Caltrans Director Michael Dougherty joined us at the California Bicycle Summit in San Diego. During his plenary session speech “Pedaling Toward a Low Carbon Transportation System: As Easy As Riding A Bike”, Director Dougherty announced the creation of the first ever California State Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan (CSBPP), which aims to support and encourage active transportation while increasing safe bicycling and walking opportunities across the state. California has set a target to triple bicycling and double walking by 2020 by improving these options for all Californians.
The CSBPP will take two years to complete and will include the following phases:
- Developing goals and objectives (Fall 2015/Winter 2016)
- Assessing implementation needs (Winter 2016)
- Identifying gaps in the bicycle and pedestrian networks (Winter/Spring 2016)
- Creating recommendations (Summer 2016)
- Reviewing the draft and final CSBPP (Fall 2016/Winter 2017)
Input from the public is needed. To get started, take the survey at cabikepedplan.org. Throughout the two year process there will be additional opportunities to help shape the CSBPP. Sign up for email updates to get the latest information about CSBPP: Email update sign up.