The Executive Director (ED), with the Board of Directors, is responsible for implementing the strategic plan of the organization. The ED works with staff, board members, community partners, volunteers, government agencies, and an active membership to keep our plan current and responsive to community needs and opportunities. The ED is responsible for managing a $1/4 million budget and for successful fundraising through cultivating individual donor and business partner relationships. The ED manages, develops, and empowers a staff of ~4 people to conduct effective bicycle advocacy, educational programs and activities such as the Bike Kitchen and Bike Valet. The ED connects and engages with our diverse members, and works to expand our membership base to better reflect all San Luis Obispo County bike riders, including underserved groups and communities. The ED is the primary public face of the organization, speaking to media, government agencies, and at public functions. Weekend and evening work will be required at times to attend board meetings, fundraising events, member programs, etc.
Ideal Experience and Capabilities
- At least three to five years’ experience managing people, including a demonstrated ability to hire, develop, and lead talented and committed staff.
- Success leading advocacy work in areas such as sustainability, transportation, urban planning, land use, social justice, public health or a related field. Experience with bicycle advocacy is a plus.
- A strong history of effective fundraising, including individual, business, government and foundations.
- A deep commitment to Bike SLO County’s mission of improving quality of life through safe cycling.
- Experience working in a non-profit organization.
- Expertise facilitating participatory decision-making in an advocacy organization whose members hold diverse views.
- Skilled at building coalitions.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize organizational efforts given input from a broad range of stakeholders and multiple competing interests.
- Ability to communicate effectively to a variety of audiences and to maintain composure in challenging situations.
- Strong experience representing organizations with the media and with the public at large.
- Strong financial, organizational, management and program design and implementation skills, preferably with a nonprofit organization.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- A bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience.
- Additional requirements include California Driver’s License and ability to lift 40#.
Salary based upon experience.
How to Apply
Email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Your cover letter should specifically address the experience and capabilities identified above. Please include “Executive Director – YOUR NAME” in the subject line, and please mention how you found out about the position. Inquiries may made by contacting the Executive Board at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Preferred Deadline for Applications: April 15, 2018. Applications received after April 15 will be reviewed, but priority will be given to applications received prior to that time.
Equal Opportunity Employment Bike SLO County is an equal opportunity employer.
+ + + + +