Next week your Bicycle Coalition is leaving our 75 degree California ‘winter’ weather to brave the cold front of the East Coast for the 2014 National Bike Summit! From March 3 – 5 we will be meeting with national leaders on Capitol Hill to advance bicycle safety, funding and equity. We’ll be keeping you up to date here on our blog throughout the week, stay tuned.
In addition to the Summit, we’ll also be attending the National Women’s Forum with female leaders throughout the country. There are a few big news items on the legislative agenda as well that we will be keeping you updated on:
- H.R. 2468 (House) & S 2004 (Senate) – The Safe Streets Act of 2013
- Requires each state to have an explicit policy statement, that requires all federally-funded transportation projects, with certain exceptions, to accommodate the safety and convenience of all road users in accordance with complete streets principles.
- H.R.3978 – New Opportunities for Bicycle and Pedestrian Infrastructure Financing Act of 2014
- Takes steps to advance equity for bicyclists and pedestrians, and boost funding for bike/ped projects in low-income communities.
- Transportation Bills are also currently being drafted by both the House and the Senate as we speak!
Keep track of the week’s progress on our blog – slobikelane.org/blog – to see your Bicycle Coalition hard at work to make better bikeways in SLO County!
Support our advocacy efforts for better bikeways by becoming a member of the Bicycle Coalition, the more members we have the stronger our voice is as we amplify community support for bike/ped projects.